Ever since I’ve been on latest midlife crisis mode, I’ve been splurging on things that would or could help me feel younger again. Recently, I stumbled upon this interesting drink called Mermaid Latte by Nutra Organics at a health food store. Needless to say, the packaging and name captured my attention first, then the ingredients. LOL.
A magical drink created with Ayurvedic principles. There’s spirulina (we all know that spirulina is Da Bomb) and sea minerals in it, and of course the Butterfly Pea Flower which gives it the vibrant blue colour; Siberian ginseng, ginger, liquorice and honey for immune function. Sounds awesome, doesn’t it? Let’s see how it turns out……….
The Mermaid Latte powder, reminds me of the Butterfly Pea Flower. It does say there’s no artificial colouring on the package.
I like my unhomogenised milk unheated, so I decided to mix the powder straight into it to see if it would blend. The package did say that the milk could be slightly heated or chilled. It took longer to blend it, but it did blend nicely in the end, and my milk turned into a beautiful shade of blue.
Now that we’ve agreed that it looks beautiful, what about its taste? Does it taste as good as it looks?
I’d say it’s an acquired taste. But if you’re into spiced tea like me, then you’ll enjoy this superpower punch. There’s a gingery-peppery after taste that gives you the wake-up-now feeling, which was what I needed this morning. I also love the taste of chai and coconut milk with a hint of honey.
While we’re at it, I’m compiled a summary of the benefits of the main ingredients so that you know what’s good for you. 🙂
- Coconut Milk – High in saturated fats, which is good for maintaining good cholestrol level, improving blood pressure, preventing dehydration and a rich source of brain food (Read more here)
- Manuka Honey – Proven to be anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant (Read more here)
- Blue superfood – [Copied from Nutra Organic’s website] Sea Mineral Complex is a multi-mineral algae grown on the ocean floor, and is high in bioavailable calcium, magnesium and 72 other trace minerals. Nutra Organic’s Sea Mineral Complex has appeared in a number of scientific studies that have proven it’s ability to support bone, joint & digestive health (Disclaimer: I can’t find any link to those studies. But generally, sea minerals are rich in potassium and magnesium and it promotes the body’s dynamic regenerative system to heal and balances itself. A peer reviewed study can be found here)
- Spirulina – [Copied from Nutra Organic’s website] Famous for being one of the most nutrient dense superfood in the world, the Blue Spirulina is the Smurf child of spirulina – it’s literally the blue pigment, also called Phycocyanin, derived from the blue-green algae. It is a powerful antioxidant and supports the bodies response to inflammation. It also helps to detoxify and protect the liver.
- Butterfly Pea Flower – [Copied from Nutra Organic’s website] Used mainly in South East Asian countries as a tea, it is a potent source of anthocyanin antioxidants and has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic traditions for its medicinal properties and anti-aging effects.
- Adaptogenic Herbs – Great for anti-stress (Read more here)
- Ayurvedic Spices – [Copied from Nutra Organic’s website] These spices are traditionally used to enhance digestion and metabolism, lower blood pressure, reduce stress, balance hormones, reduce inflammation, help with sleep, and promote healthy and glowing skin.
With whimsical blues that reminds me of the ocean, and glorious superfood that will make me feel (and hopefully look) beautiful like a freaking mermaid, I’m looking forward to having my beautiful blue morning elixir every morning now!
Find out more about Nutra Organics and their range of products at www.nutraorganics.com